Saturday, February 10, 2007

Sweet Glass

Yesterday's post was a little over dramatic. Sigh. But I had to get it out and now that I have, I feel better. It really wasn't that bad. There is no blame, just a different path. Let's chalk it up to a cruel twist of fate - raging hormones right before Valentine's. It's just a day. I really need to get over it.

So, yesterday when I said I wanted to be spoiled, I didn't mean with gifts. No, I got that covered myself. Flowers would be nice, but more because of the sentiment and the fact that I would probably have fun taking photos of them. But no, I don't need presents from anyone. My family usually gives me money or gift cards for my birthday and Christmas because I never want anything. Well, I do. It's just that I end up buying it for myself. My mom is the only one who buys me stuff more because I think she's hoping I'll turn into a girl at some point. (She buys me purses and jewelry, none of which I use.)

I bought myself a gift this week and it arrived on Thursday. A new lens. A Nikkor 70-300mm VR 4.5/5.6 lens. I took it out for a spin today and loved it. It's sweet glass - smooth, quiet, & sharp. I'd been debating buying it for a month. I'd read about it before it came out and had my name put on a list to be notified when it was released for sale. I had the money. I don't buy anything with credit cards anymore. Debt issues. Anyway, it was actually money I was saving for IMAZ 08. I'd planned on going to Phoenix in April for IMAZ to volunteer and watch fellow Trifuelers and sign of for next year's. I was trying to figure out what I needed more. I don't like having a DNF for an Ironman race hanging over my head. And one of my goals is to complete one before I turn 40 next year.

But the lens I would be able to use now and have lots of fun with. Plus, it's a lens I really need in my arsenal. So I broke down this week and bought it. The first lens I've bought in more than 5 years. A treat. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about IMAZ yet. I'll have to see how much I owe Uncle Sam. I could give up the weekend at IMAZ and just sign up on-line. But boy would I love to use my new lens there. These photos I shot with my new lens today.


P.S. I deleted Friday's post this morning (Sunday) because it made me uncomfortable being out there. Posting it helped me feel better but I felt like I revealed too much. Thank you Laurie for your comment. :)

3 comments:

Bolder said...

the first shot just grabbed me.

LOOK AT ME!

composition, color, lighting...

it's got it all for me!

well done.

DV said...

the clarity of the moisture is striking - the color of t he 1st 2 - wow!
tough decision with im az - still go to volunteer, and know what? i bet you'll be inspired enough to somewhere find a little pot of gold...

Lisa said...

Thanks guys. :) I haven't ruled it out yet.