Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The Alchemist

I read The Alchemist by Paul Coehlo this weekend. Loved it. Once again, it had a familiar theme for me. Something I've really come to believe. That we are all apart of this world and connected to it and each other. That "forces" work to help us achieve our goals, whether they be declared or unconcious. And that's why you have to be careful about you talk and think and act. You may unconciously point yourself in a direction you didn't want to go.

The story is about a boy who is looking for his "treasure". And while he is looking for a real treasure (or so he believes), it is the people he meets and the experiences he has along the way that teach him about himself and the world. Most of all, it is about fulfilling his Personal Legend. Which is different for everyone. The problem is that most people don't know what their Personal Legend is or they forget about it because it's not practical or it's crazy or they are scared to fail.

It made me think...I don't know what my Personal Legend is. I have dreams and goals, of course. Everyone does. But I also know that for a long time, I was merely existing and not "living". I was just trying to survive the days. Should I look back at the things I loved as a child to find my Personal Legend again?

What I loved as a child:
My books - Is it writing? Ever since my nieces were born, I've been thinking about writing a book for them.

My bike - Is it cycling/triathlons? I feel most free on the bike. And strongest while running.

My camera - Is it Photography? I feel most comfortable and most myself while looking thru a lens.

Music - I've always wanted to play the piano or the guitar. Never tried. Should I?

And History - I wanted to be Indiana Jones when I grew up. Travel the world and find out the secrets of ancient civilizations.

Something to think about...

No comments: