Friday, November 17, 2006

A few of my favorite things

You know what's cool. I remember exactly where I was and the exact moment I pushed the button of every picture I've taken. Every photo for me is a memory keepsake of a new place, a beautiful sight, someone I love, or just plain fun. These are a few of my favorite photos and memories.

This one was taken at Joshua Tree with my 4x5 view camera. The kind with bellows and you have to use a black cloth over it and your head and you have to load the film one by one in the cartridge in a black bag. It was cool, late afternoon, silent. No one else was around for miles except the coyotes, birds, snakes, lizards. I remember hauling that camera and all my gear in my backpack over rocks and thru the desert. I almost fell backwards one time because my backpack was so heavy. I only took a few shots with the 4x5 but it was definitely worth all the effort.

This one was taken at Bryce Canyon on a long weekend I took to celebrate my birthday. I took it with my Sigma 35mm camera (which I don't have anymore) and it was freezing cold that morning, literally. I remember driving in the dark to get to the park before sunrise. There were a couple of other photographers there waiting for the sun to come up just like me. We were all blowing on our fingers to keep them warm. I took my camera out of my bag and put it on the tripod and got only a few shots before my batteries died from the cold! The waiting was the hard part. Waiting for just the right light.

This one is of Zion and I took it on that same trip. I used my Yashica 124G box camera, an old camera where you have to look down thru the viewfinder and there's a crank to wind the film. Love that camera. It shoots 6x6 squares. It was warm and there seemed to be tons of people in Zion that day. I remember waiting for people to finish crossing the bridge so I could take it.

This one is also from Bryce and I took it with the Sigma. I remember walking up to the rim and seeing this tree standing there and being so amazed I almost forgot I had my camera. Then I bracketed the shot to make sure I got it just right. This one and the one of Joshua Tree at the top are, I think, my two best landscape shots.

No comments: