Thursday, November 02, 2006

My Grandma

My grandmother's birthday was Monday. She would have been 82. I miss her. You know, it's because of her that I consider myself a photographer. She bought me my first real camera - a Canon AE-1P. She claimed she bought it so she could have really good photos of the family. But then she asked me to learn how to use it and then I was assigned to taking the pictures from then on. Funny how she worked that, don't you think? I'd always had fun taking pictures before with my little Kodak camera that I had and used to try and catch people with. But it wasn't til that camera that I paid attention to what I was doing with it. I wish she were alive today to see all the photos I've taken of Morgan, Madison, & Max. I think they definitely would have made her laugh.

Some of my favorite memories of her:
*Waking up on cold dark mornings and sitting at the kitchen table while she fed us tortillas w/butter hot off the grill.
*Shopping trips that always ended up at Thrifty's for an ice cream.
*Watching her and my grandfather dance every chance they got.
*How every telenova was going to be her last one and then when it was over, she'd start watching the next one.
*Driving my sister & I around town in the boat (a 59 Chevy Impala - mint).
*Going to all the kids movies with her even when I was in my 20's, okay 30's too.
*Watching her talk to & take care of the birds that she'd rescued.

You know what the best part was? The fact that I knew she loved me totally and unconditionally. Me, the stubborn, moody, sometimes bratty one who wasn't always easy to love. I loved her for that and I hope to God that she knew it. I hope she knew how much she gave me. And I hope I gave a little back to her as well.

1 comment:

Born To Endure said...

Boy does your post ever sound familiar..I too miss my grandmothers, but you have your memories and thanks for sharing them!!
p.s. you ARE a fantastic photographer!!