Friday, October 13, 2006

Flower Power

Flowers are yet another one of my favorite things to photograph. Probably because there is an inifite variety of them in all shapes, sizes, colors. It's kind of like taking portraits of people. Only, it's easier to photograph flowers.

For flowers, it's all about the light. Actually, photography is always all about the light but more so with flowers I think. I love to see flowers lit like this. Almost like a spotlight from above saying "hey look at the beauty that surrounds you and ignore the bad stuff going on in the world."

Sometimes it boggles my mind to think of how many beautiful and unique things there are in this world. It makes me believe there is a hand guiding things along.

Yet, I also find myself taking lots of black and white pictures of flowers. Is a flower still beautiful without all the color?



Both of these shots were handheld in late afternoon light. The sunflower definitely could have used more depth of field but I had to keep a workable shutter speed on it. Should have used my tripod. Sigh. The daisy I ended up putting in this little vase because my cat started eating them and he bit this one off! The shape almost seemed human - head, body, hand on hip. Like it was daring me to take the picture anyway.

No comments: