Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Mirrors

I picked up some sunflowers this weekend. $4 for four of them. It was a bargain I couldn't pass up. I photographed them on Saturday afternoon with my 70-300 VR lens and then again on Sunday morning with my Macro and the light streaming thru the slider. Hours of entertainment for $4? Definitely money well spent. :)

I've always found sunflowers challenging to photograph because of the inherent contrast between the light petals and the dark center. I bracketed the hell out of these shots even with the D200 being digital. Dark vs. light. Which is most important? I guess it depends on the photo. I tried to balance the two so there was still detail in both.

These two sets are almost mirrors of each other. Almost. Because of course, one is in color and the other is in black and white. So, they aren't exactly mirror images of each other.

But really, can a mirror ever reflect the true version? Like ourselves...does it show us who we truly are? Don't we all see a slightly skewed version of what others see us for? We all look thru "mirrors" that are distorted by our thoughts and ideals and perceptions? Is one view better than the other? Or just different? As long as no one's looking at me reflected in a fun house mirror that makes my backside look big, I'll be okay with it. But if you want to use one that gives me really long legs, that would be better. :)

1 comment:

Wrenched Photography said...

pop. good job on them. the orange/red is nice and warm. Ever try merging bracketed shots?