Monday, March 19, 2007

Spring Exploration


Spring has sprung. Last weekend, when it was hot and smoggy, I couldn't find anything outside that I wanted to photograph. I'd hit a block. But what a difference a week makes. This weekend, spring was sprouting all over and my camera and I went exploring just a few feet from where I live. And we found a treasure trove of opportunities.

The top photos are more of what I'm comfortable with - flowers in a controlled environment (background, lighting, wind, etc.) But there's something to be said about messy, spontaneous shots in nature. The kind that don't stand still. That you can't force to pose for you. That keep you on your toes, looking up, down, and all around. That force you to be quick but precise. A good stretch. Like Yoga for Photography. The photos below are just a few of the ones I took on Saturday. I was pleasantly surprised at how many photos I "found" and actually liked. Maybe I was just in a more open place to see them.





P.S. The hawk is part of a pair that lives by me and I often see them circling overhead when I'm out and about. This is the first time I had my camera with me. The dog is named Duke and I don't know him. He was out for a stroll with his owner. He was cute and seemed happy to be exploring! Like me. :)

1 comment:

Bolder said...

i like the first flowers... those are sooo frameable, and would look great on a wall...