Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Eyes Have It

Andy, from Wrenching with Winz called me a snobby snob. Well...he actually said that nikon people were snobby snobs. What. Ever. I like what I like. And my nikkorn lens are SO sweet. As sweet to me as a high end bike or sports car would be to someone else. I will not apologize for it. And I won't give up my my nikkor lenses for anyone. Nope. Ain't gonna happen.

Here's the thing. There's always a thing. I told him that it's not the camera, it's the eye looking thru it. Great photographs aren't made because of the camera, but the person using it. This I know. Some of most prized prints of my photos are from cameras made in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. It's not the camera. But still...I love my lenses! I love my Nikon gear. It's mine, mine, all mine. And I worked hard to get it all. Damn it. Why shouldn't I be proud of it. Sure, I can buy an offbrand lens for a lot less. But will it still have the same feel to it. Is it just my perception of the nikkor lenses that make them so special to me? I really only have 3 lenses - a 24 mmm, a 28-105, and my 70-180 macro. I would sleep with that lens under my pillow if it wouldn't mess it up. Seriously. It's not even about them being "my possesions". It's more that they are the tools that I use to express myself. Some people do that thru painting or writing or music. I do it thru my Nikon. Besides, I wouldn't trust anything else to capture every one of Madison's freckles!!!

4 comments:

Laurie said...

They are definitely the 'tools you use to express yourself.' Well put. You only need to justify the expense to yourself and no one else. It seems that you have already done that.

Fe-lady said...

Beautiful flower photos... and neice? (whoever Madison is...I read too fast!)
I need a better camera!
(Do you use a digital or SLR?)

Fe-lady said...

niece...I mean. Geeze!

Lisa said...

Thanks! And yep, she's my niece.

I shoot with a digital slr, the Nikon D200. I had a Nikon SLR and bought the D200 so I could use the lenses I already had.