Monday, January 22, 2007

To car or not to car

That is the questions. It was a year ago this weekend that I was hit by a car while out for a Saturday morning ride. Not only did it piss me off because it messed with my Ironman training for Vineman, but it left a lingering fear in me about cars. My heart still skips a beat when I see a car about to make a left turn across my path. Despite that tiny little fear, I still love riding and would prefer to be on my bike than in a car. In fact, now I get a little car sick in a car unless the window is open a little. Sometimes I feel like sticking my head out the window like a dog!


It will be 3 years in May that I got rid of my car and started riding my bike to work and every I wanted to go. Riding has been good for my health, my mind, the environment, and of course, my bank account. When I was on vacation earlier this month, my dad let me borrow his little old Huffy 10 speed cruiser. And you know what? Even though it was old and slow, as soon as I was on it, I had a huge smile on my face and I felt free. I love it. But there is one area of my life that has suffered. Yep, my photography. I don't go exploring like I used. I haven't been visiting my favorite places like Joshua Tree and Crystal Cove. I haven't been to favorite botanical gardens. Not that I couldn't ride to some of those places. I just don't want to do it while I'm carrying my camera (see above mentioned car accident and there was that time I flipped my bike last May).

These photos are from a trip to the San Diego Wild Animal park a few years ago. I went there with a friend for my birthday to take the photo tour. They take you inside the park on a flat bed truck so you can get closer to the animals than the train that circles the park. It was a blast. I got to feed a giraffe and a rhinoceros for the first time ever. And got some fun photos as a bonus. My own little safari trip right here is So Cal. I used to do that kind of thing all the time. Most of it was spur of the moment. Like the time I woke up on New Years Day and decided to drive to one of the missions to take some photos (I have a mission to photograph all the California missions. Get it?). I got to ring the church bell that day which was very cool.


Sometimes I think about buying a car again because I miss doing that kind of thing. It's an internal struggle. Should I? Shouldn't I? I think if I really want to get my photography off the ground, I need a car to get to assignments. But the anti-car side of me rebels furiously at the thought. What to do? To car or not to car. That is definitely the question.

6 comments:

Laurie said...

That is a tough question. It seems like you are held back somewhat by not having a car, especially professionally. But just because you bought a car doesn't mean you would have to drive it everywhere. You could compromise and only drive for photography related things.

Lisa said...

I thought of that but I have to wonder if I would start using it more and more - a "just this once" kind of thing. And it seems like such a waste to buy a car and pay for insurance and all that to have sit and only be used 2 or 3 times a month. Now if only they had time share cars that you could use when needed...

DV said...

how about a motorcycle? cheaper to operate, and infinite amount of way-cool points...

feed a rhino - wow!!! i wanta do that!

Lisa said...

A motorcycle. Hmmm. Interesting idea. Hmmm.

Wrenched Photography said...

I'm jealous...as usual. Flip a coin. or hire out a ricshaw.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.