Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Freelance

No, not Free Lance. He's fine. I mean Freelance Photography. My sister bought me a book for Christmas on how to become a Freelance Photographer. Would that not be cool? To make a living as a photographer? The only problem, of course, is me. I have sold one or two of my prints before. And I've been the photographer for 3 weddings (one as an assistant), 1 birthday party, 1 Company Aniversary Party, and quite a few dinners and events for a charity. And too many portrait sessions to count.

But since most of these were for friends or family, I didn't charge much, if anything. A family friend who built up a very successful business has said that I don't put enough value on my work. That if I want it to be valued, I have to charge what I'm worth. The problem I have is that I usually have so much fun doing this stuff, that I find it hard to charge someone for my fun! But I realize that has to change. If I want to be successful that is. My stepmom was telling me about some friends of hers who just had a sitting with a photographer. They paid her $500 for the sitting. Guess how much I charged for my photo session with my friend Mo and her family last month? Five Zero. Yep, $50. But hey, they bought me dessert too! And really, they've given me countless rides places so I think it was fair. Mo told me they chose these to blow up to 16x20 and that the grandparents loved them. These are not the ones I would have chosen but I haven't had a chance to ask her why these. They had about 120 shots to choose from. I'm curious.



Sure, one day, I would like to see my work hanging in a galery or The Getty or LACMA (dream big!). But until then, I will have to figure out how to make my photography pay for itself.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

You have a lot of talent. I am sure you could make money as a freelance photographer. You definitely have to value yourself before others will appreciate your value and pay for it. Hmmm, valuing yourself before others will see your value is true in all aspects of life.

Anonymous said...

Nice article. You can also get china outsourcing and freelance copywriters from ICanFreelance.com

Anonymous said...

Just read the article. Great job. If you are looking for

home jobs
ecomerce freelance web design
freelance journalist
outsourcing in india

Try using ICanFreelance.com