Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Rejects

Bolder boldly asked to see the orignal photo that I converted to b&w for yesterday's post. Here they are, side by side. To me, it didn't feel like the rose had the same impact in color. The rose itself seemed to be fighting the green of the stems, etc. And it also felt a little blown out & raggedy. But converting to a black rose isolated it and made it pop out a little. It also gave it the texture I could see but didn't translate to film. And it masked the flaws and made it more the ideal I was looking for.



Maybe if I come back to it later, I'll see something different in the color photo. Speaking of which...I had a fun night last night. I went thru some of the boxes that had my old slide rejects in them. Even though I didn't like them at the time, I couldn't bear to get rid of them. Weird, eh? Maybe because a litte of me is in them. Some I could clearly see why I'd rejected. Others, I had to take a second look at and then still rejected them.

But there were a few that I really liked and spent some time wondering why I had dismissed them in the first place. Maybe they werent perfect flowers. Maybe they weren't what I was looking for at the time. I don't know. But I'm happy I found them again. Here are four of the "rejects".




5 comments:

Bolder said...

thanks for the comparison!

i like the second last one best.

Laurie said...

I hope you can make sense of Bolder's comment because I can't!

Anyway, you have such a great artist's eye. I agree with your view of the black rose and the change of the heart on the rejects. I like the coneflower the bestest.

Lisa said...

Thanks Laurie!

I've often wished for a bolder translater. :)

DV said...

my fave is the purple thingy at t he end. looks digitized somehow?

i have the same feelings you describe about finding old slides previously rejected and then wondering why you rejected them... when i look back at old journals at things I wrote 5 or 10 or 15 years ago, it's almost like discovering a part of myself that i had forgotten/lost...

Lisa said...

The effect comes from a soft focus filter. It's what makes it glow like that. I used to shoot with it a lot. Now I find I go for crisper, simpler images.