Monday, January 29, 2007

Bree & Terry

I received a Thank You note from Bree & Terry this weekend. I took photos of their wedding back in October. Their note said that they thought the photos were beautiful and that it meant the world to them that I'd captured their happiest moments. Taking photos of their wedding was my gift to them. When I was shooting it, I remembered why I don't do more weddings. It's a little stressful while it's happening. Even more so this time because it was a night wedding, outdoors at a "ranch" so there wasn't much light. And Terry is like family to me since his sister is my best friend, Mondi. But as always the stress fades and now all that is left is the fun and the joy that they are happy with them.

I also paid for prints of their favorite photos and I'm still working on the third part of their gift...a photo book of the wedding. It's harder than I thought it would be. I want it to be great since it will hold their memories of that special day forever. And I took so many photos that it's hard trying to fit them all in. Plus, I'm a perfectionist so it's slow going. I'm kind of relieved that I didn't have to charge them for any of it because there is no way I could have come up with an amount. I've put so many hours into this that I lost track of them! But I can't complain because I'm getting some great experience.

The rest of these photos were from the photo shoot last May for their engagment photos. They turned this b&w of the two of them into the stamp they use for all of their wedding correspondence - inviatations to the shower & wedding, and the thank you cards. It's funny to see my photo on them. Kind of a thrill.

Honestly, I have more fun doing a photo shoot like this then doing a wedding or a party. Maybe it's because it's less stressful, more relaxed. I don't know. It could be because I like the challenge of getting people to relax and be natural and have fun.

Terry was a little self concious at the beginning of the shoot, but he loosened up nicely. It helped, I think, that their dog, Tank, was there and helped break the ice. Sometimes, I have to be the goofball to get them to relax. Sometimes I just talk to them, ask them questions, tell really bad jokes. :P

I think also that even though I'm being paid to do a shoot like this, I still feel a lot of freedom to express myself. The only rule I have is that if the camera is out of the bag, any shot is open game! After a while, they get used to it.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Beautiful, as always. I love the last one of them laughing.

Lisa said...

Thank you. :) I'm pretty sure they were laughing at one of my fabulous jokes. Nah! We were at a park with lots of ducks and Tank was trying to escape to chase after them. Right before I took this shot, he was barking and practically howling at them and trying to break free to chase them down.

Bolder said...

first one is still my fav.

Bolder said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.